We strongly recommend that people going through a separation or divorce get legal advice prior to meeting in mediation.
It is important for you to know your rights and responsibilities based on your individual situation.
When you are informed, you can be more effective in your negotiations and you will increase your chances of success.
It is also a very good idea to have a lawyer review your mediated agreement before you legalize it.
Last, but not least, always ensure that the lawyer you speak with specializes in Family Law.
Where to Get Legal Advice and Information:
- Legal Aid Alberta
- Lawyer Referral Service
- Student Legal Services
- Collaborative Family Lawyers
- Family Law Information Centre
- Family Court Counsellors
- Employee Assistance Programs – If you have an employee assistance program through your employer, check to see if you are entitled to free legal advice regarding your family law matter.
Please visit our resources page for contact and further information for the above resources.
Tips on How to Prepare to Speak With a Lawyer:
- Put together a detailed outline of information regarding your situation.
- Make a list of any questions you have.
- Be honest. Don’t try to make yourself look better than the other person. If you color the story or leave out details, you can get the wrong advice. A lawyer can only do their best to advise you based on the accuracy and completeness of the information you give them.
- Stick to what is relevant. This will help you in your situation and your image.
- Provide whatever paperwork or information the lawyer requests as soon as it is possible.
- Ask about fee schedules and billing policies ahead of time to avoid any surprises.
- Make sure the lawyer is a good fit for you. This means that you feel comfortable with them and that your expectations fit with what they can provide you with.
Separating or Divorcing? Not sure where to start?
Book a free 20 minute phone consultation online today!
Contact us to book a free 20 minute phone consultation. Call our office at 780-417-3119 or you can book online using the link below. We offer daytime, evening and weekend appointments.